This project is a renovation/addition to a 1914 Dutch Gambrel home and the conversion of an existing garage/barn to a pool house in Royal Oak, Maryland. The two structures had been modified several times, including adding a one-story addition on the north and a deck along the south and west sides of the home. Our goal was to replace the addition with a two-story addition that was more sympathetic to the historic character and to reorient the home to Oak Creek and the southern side facing the pool.
The new addition on the private north side contains the Master Suite on the first floor and a sitting room above, linked by a new curved stair. The front door was shifted from the south side to the west side of the house, on axis with the long tree-lined approach drive. The renovations on the west side also include a renovated kitchen to accommodate their large extended family. The deck was replaced with a wrap-around porch, with an enclosed screened portion facing the pool. On the east side, facing Oak Creek, the first floor was restored to a more traditional symmetrical façade leading to the restored waterside porch. New antique heart pine floors and period appropriate details complement the original details of the waterfront home.
The original barn had been converted to a garage and the second floor hay loft was in very poor condition. The first floor was converted to a great room and changing room, with a stair leading up to a new second floor Game Room with an open deck overlooking the pool. The house and pool house face Oak Creek and create a retreat for large family gatherings.