Historic Annapolis Home
This project is the restoration, interior renovation, and addition to the Anne Burton Jeffers House in the Annapolis Historic District. It was originally constructed as rental housing in 1905 and was converted to a single family residence in the 1960's . During this time, and southwest rear elevation was significantly changed with a modern addition that lacked coherence with the original home. When recently purchased by the current owner, deferred maintenance and deterioration of the finishes after years of use were evident with floors more than 3" out of level. The original slate roof had been replaced with asphalt shingles and the stucco, windows, and wood shutters were showing wear.
Working closely with the Historic Preservation Office, careful attention was paid to the restoration of the historic fabric guided by the principles of the Department of Interior guidelines. The goal of the project was to restore the original residence and to replace the Southwest rear addition with an addition of similar size that was sympathetic to the original architecture. The new addition minimizes upper cabinets and allows both the kitchen and adjoining Breakfast Room to be flooded with light. The brick stair connecting the addition to the rear garden was restored, as was the rear patio itself.
Slate to match the original replaced the non-historic asphalt shingles, both the stucco and all exterior trim were repaired, all original windows were carefully restored, and all the interior systems were upgraded to achieve a NGBS “Gold” certification. Exterior storm windows replaced the original triple track units, achieving excellent energy performance while restoring the original historic fabric. The result is the preservation of an important contributing resource in the Annapolis Historic District, in a manner that will last for future generations.
Contractor: Winchester Construction Company
Interior Design: Shaun Jackson Interiors
Photography: Anice Hoachlander